Southeast Asian Community
SOU THEY SABAIDEE NYOB ZOO CHÀO MỪNG
The Southeast Asian communities of Cambodian, Hmong, Karen, Lao and Vietnamese are political refugees from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam as a result of the Vietnam War and the recent ethnic military and political conflicts in Myanmar. The Census does not capture the entire Southeast Asian population due to cultural and social differences that created barriers for the community from participating in the Census. The Southeast Asian's are very hospitable and put great emphasis on the spiritual world.
Overall, housing, employment, public safety, business development and quality early childhood and family education continue to be some of the key issues for the Southeast Asian community.
- Building trust and relationships: The Southeast Asian community has very little trust in government based on outcomes of the Vietnam War. In an effort to build trust, NCR brings together elders and leaders from the community to specific City departments to seek out ways the community and City can work better together.
- Soccer Engagement Program: The Southeast Asian Soccer Connection meets every Saturday at Farview Park from mid-November until April 2018. Neighborhood organizations and partners are encouraged to table and connect with the 75+ Southeast Asian adults and families who attend.
Connecting with the community
The Southeast Asian community is an oral society. It is important that information be disseminated through various trusted traditional communication systems.
For more information about effective and culturally appropriate strategies to engage the Southeast Asian communities in Minneapolis, contact Michael Yang, Southeast Asian Community Specialist, at Michael.Yang@minneapolismn.gov or at 612-327-2830 (cell).
Latest News in the Southeast Asian Community
- Stay informed about Snow Emergencies this Winter (11/17)
- Help shape our City, apply for openings on boards and commissions (9/22)
- Minneapolis pledges a new relationship with the Hmong community (11/14)
Photos:Top photo, July 2014 National Lao-Hmong Recognition Day, Bottom photos couresty of the Vietnamese Social Services of Minnesota.
Last updated Nov 27, 2017